Saturday 8 March 2014

WIP: Airfix Porsche 928 S4: Part 1

Airfix Porsche 928 S4 1:24.


There aren't many kits of the non 911 Porsche cars and even fewer that come with an engine but this is one that does. It is itself a rebox of the Italeri kit of the same name and I believe also to be found in a US Testors box as well. As luck would have it, this kit was also recently re-released by Italeri so I can get the chance in the future to correct the little mistakes that were made in this one.

As always, I start with the bodywork.
This kit came to me slightly broken with a couple snapped members. To reinforce the broken bits, I decided to fix on the front and rear sections to made the body a single piece. This also allowed me to tidy up and re-define those very sharp, very clear and very Porsche panel lines.





You can see from a couple of those photos a few of the bits of damage.
Before priming the bodyshell, I took care of those small bits with a little surface putty. The front windscreen trim was reinforced from the read while I built up a strong enough layer of putty to sand smooth to match the existing trim.

The panel-lines on the rear bumper were tidied up and straightened up; the moulding was a little soft here and the edge wasn't a clean "cut" so to speak.



Once that was taken care of, it was onto the first layer of primer to check the state of the body.








While I was at it, I also took care of a few of the engine and exhaust parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment